CONTROVERSY ASSOCIATED WITH PERSONALITY AND PARAPHILIC DISORDERS
Between 10% and 20% of the population experience personality disorders. They are difficult to treat as individuals with personality disorders are less likely to seek help than individuals with other mental health disorders. Treatment can be challenging as they do not see their symptoms as painful to themselves or others.
Paraphilic disorders are far more common in men than in women, and generally quite chronic, lasting at least two years. Treatment of these disorders usually involves both psychotherapeutic and pharmacologic treatments.
In 2–3 pages:
- Explain the controversy that surrounds your selected disorder (Sexual Masochism Disorder)
- Explain your professional beliefs about this disorder, supporting your rationale with at least three scholarly references from the literature.
- Explain strategies for maintaining the therapeutic relationship with a patient that may present with this disorder.
- Finally, explain ethical and legal considerations related to this disorder that you need to bring to your practice and why they are important.
* no more than 3 pages
* Disorder is: sexual masochism disorder