Group Assignment Overview
Students will have the chance to work with their classmates to develop the perfect healthcare organization and defend their stance on why the feel the organization is complete (optimally maintained).
The professor will divide students into groups of 4 (there might be a few groups of 3 depending on the number of students in each course) by the end of week 5. Students are not allowed to organize their own groups.
Within Canvas, students will have their own group discussion board. The assignment consists of making 12 posts (no more/no less) to that group discussion board. There will be an introductory post to set the stage/summarize the upcoming posts, and then, there will be a post for each chapter in the book. By completing the discussion thread, the students will do their best to form the “perfect” healthcare organization.
Each student should make at least 2 posts to contribute to the total number of posts (12).
Students who do not upload a minimum of 2 posts, for their group, will receive zero credit for the assignment. The other group members will receive points/grades. Other than that issue (a student not participating), every student is responsible for what is posted, and all students will receive the same score. Please, do not request another student is marked down separately from the group. So, be sure to double-check each other’s work.
Each post should be at least 250 words long but no longer than 500.
The posts should be grammatically correct.
Students should specifically cite (in APA format) where information was borrowed from the course textbook (page numbers should be included with each citation) or any other credible source.
There should be at least two additional external sources (in addition to the course textbook) referenced (not two per post but just two more across all 11). External sources beyond two are welcome and encouraged.
I strongly recommend students work on this throughout the semester and do not wait until the last minute.
- Plagiarism is not tolerated. Borrowing another group’s ideas/concepts from this semester or another will result in an automatic failing grade (no excuses). All submissions should be original. If it is found that any portions have been copied from the internet or anywhere else, zero credit will be awarded, and the issue will be reported to the college so students can be punished appropriately.
For organizational purposes, be sure to number each post in its title to coincide with the instructions below (i.e. “post #1, post #2, etc.).
- Here are the details:
Post 1: Describe the health organization your group has decided to form (hospital, small primary care physician office, health insurance company, billing company, healthcare IT company, or etc.). Do some research and think outside the box. If your unsure if your organization falls within the framework of being healthcare-focused, be sure to confirm the type of organization with your professor first.
- Post 2: Read chapter one of the course textbook and use its concepts to discuss why the organization was formed. In general, this post should focus on what current challenges will it help solve, and what opportunities exist for the organization (from an overall healthcare landscape). However, there should be far more detail provided than just answering the above questions.
Post 3: Use this slide to discuss the history of organizations similar to yours. Try to especially focus on the following concepts from chapter 2: how data analytics will be used by your organization, project management, and your organization’s performance improvement philosophies.
- Post 4: Heavily dwell on how evidence-based medicine will be used when operating your organization. Feel free to focus on other points from chapter 3.
- Post 5: By now, students can tell this assignment is making the textbook come alive through a fictional organization. Reading the course textbook is critical to succeeding at this assignment. The next chapter in focus is chapter 5: Project Management (6 in the 4th edition). Through this post, students should use that chapter’s concepts to really focus on how their organization will operate. While the group should focus on several key points from the chapter, make sure there is a heavy focus on the skills the project managers will need (and who will they hire), how projects will be selected for the organization to complete. Essentially, what are the organization’s primary functions, and what kind of skillset is needed to run those operations?
- Post 6: Use the knowledge learned in chapter 6: tools for problem-solving (chapter 7 in 4th edition) to identify the problems your organization may encounter (and how they will be identified) along with how decisions will be made to resolve those issues.
Post 7: Read the “Healthcare Analytics” chapter (8) and discuss how analytics will be used to drive the organization. This post should be very specific to the organization in focus -not high level.
- Post 8: Read the “Quality” chapter (9) and the Lean chapter (10). Then, discuss how both could be applied to the organization in focus. Again, be specific.
Post 9: Read chapters 11 and 12 about process improvement, patient flow, and capacity management. The center of healthcare revolves around patients. How does the flow of patients impact this organization? Remember everyone may not be starting a provider office or hospital, but patient flow still impacts all healthcare perspectives. In addition, make a process map for work coming in and being completed for this organization.
- Post 10: Read chapter 14 about improving financial performance. Discuss this selected organization’s major credits (i.e. income) and debits (i.e. bills). Also, discuss what needs to occur for profits to be maximized. Include a sample projected budget with this post.
- Post 11: This would be a summary post. It should contain each student’s name and a brief description of what they did to contribute to the assignment (i.e. John Doe – completed posts 1 and 2; also, he kept meeting notes).
Post 12: references
Expert Solution Preview
Student groups will be tasked with developing a healthcare organization and defending their choice of organization and its optimal maintenance. The assignment will involve students participating in group discussions on Canvas, with each student contributing a minimum of 2 posts out of a total of 12 posts.
In each post, students will need to provide substantial detail and analysis, utilizing concepts from specific chapters in the course textbook as well as additional external sources. Students must ensure that each post is grammatically correct and should include citations in APA format for borrowed information. Plagiarism will not be tolerated, and any instances will result in a failing grade and appropriate disciplinary action.
Now let’s move on to answering the specific content of the assignment:
1. In post #1, the student group is required to describe the healthcare organization they have chosen to form. The group must conduct research and think creatively, ensuring that their choice aligns with the healthcare-focused framework provided. It is important to seek confirmation from the professor if unsure.
2. Post #2 focuses on using concepts from chapter one of the course textbook to discuss why the chosen organization was formed. Students should analyze the current healthcare landscape, identifying the challenges it addresses and the opportunities it presents.
3. Post #3 delves into the history of similar organizations, drawing insights from chapter 2. The group should explore how their organization leverages data analytics, their approach to project management, and their philosophy on performance improvement.
4. Post #4 requires a strong focus on how evidence-based medicine will be integrated into the organization’s operations, referencing concepts from chapter 3.
5. Post #5 centers on project management, utilizing chapter 5 of the textbook. The group should highlight key points from the chapter, emphasize the necessary skills for project managers, and discuss the organization’s primary functions and the skillset required to operate them.
6. Post #6 employs knowledge from chapter 6 (chapter 7 in the 4th edition) to identify potential problems the organization may encounter, as well as the decision-making process to resolve those issues.
7. In post #7, students are to engage with the “Healthcare Analytics” chapter and discuss how analytics will be utilized to drive the organization’s operations. This post should offer specific examples relevant to the chosen organization.
8. Post #8 focuses on the application of quality principles and lean methodologies from chapters 9 and 10, respectively. The group should demonstrate how these concepts can be applied to their organization, offering specific examples.
9. In post #9, students engage with chapters 11 and 12, exploring the impact of patient flow on the organization. Additionally, they are encouraged to create a process map that outlines the workflow of work coming into and completed by the organization.
10. Post #10 delves into chapter 14, which covers improving financial performance. The group should discuss the organization’s major credits and debits and identify the necessary steps to maximize profits. Including a sample projected budget is also required.
11. Post #11 is a summary post where each student briefly describes their contributions to the assignment.
12. Lastly, post #12 is dedicated to providing references for all sources cited throughout the assignment.
It is crucial for students to recognize the importance of reading the course textbook and allocating sufficient time to work on this assignment throughout the semester, rather than leaving it until the last minute.
#Health #Medical #Question